Trying to Conceive Clinic
Problems getting pregnant
Five reasons your period could be late
When you are trying for a baby, you might desperately be looking for the first signs of pregnancy.
A late period is one of the most obvious signs that you are expecting a baby, but there are other reasons why you might be late or even miss your period. Please also view 10 signs of pregnancy.
- Weight change. If you have lost or put on a lot of weight this can affect your menstrual cycle and mean you miss one or more periods. If you are trying for a baby and your periods are irregular, consider your health before talking to your GP about other possible causes for irregular periods.
- Stress. If you are very busy at work, or if even the process of trying for a baby is making you more stressed than normal, this can cause your oestrogen levels to be lower than normal. Try to focus on the positives of trying to conceive like the intimacy with your partner, and think about having an aromatherapy massage or reflexology to get you back on track.
- PCOS. Polycystic ovarian syndrome is caused by an imbalance of hormones and can cause other problems like an increase in body hair or the onset of baldness, weight gain and heavy or erratic periods. If you are diagnosed with this condition it does not necessarily mean you will not be able to have children. For more about the condition, symptoms and treatment, visit the website of PCOS UK.
- Illness. If you have been ill recently it might take a couple of months for your body to get back on track, including returning to regular periods.
- Perimenopause. If you are in your 20s or 30s this is unlikely cause for missing your period but in some extreme cases, this pre-menopausal state can come on early. However, the average age around which women tend to stop having periods is 50.
Mum2mum Market Nearly New Sale - Saturday, 9 Jun
Mum2Mum Market Nearly New Sale Harold Hill - Sunday, 17 Jun
Mum2Mum Market Southend - Saturday, 9 Jun
Mum2mum Market Wimbledon - Saturday, 23 Jun
Related Forum Topics
Be the first person to comment on this article, just post a comment below.