• Please enter your login details below:

Forgotten your Password?

Trying to Conceive Clinic

Planning to get pregnant

Where can I get pre-conception health check?

For most women, feeling fit and healthy is more than enough as preparation for pregnancy. However, if you are unsure if a known existing medical concern is going to affect you or your partner’s chances of successfully conceiving, or if you want to ensure that nothing is likely to affect the health of your baby, you could opt for a preconception health check.

Preconception health checks

If you are concerned that either a known existing medical condition suffered by you or your partner might affect your chances of getting pregnant or might compromise the health of your baby, visit your GP and discuss this.

If any specific tests are advised, your GP can refer you for these.

If you are not aware of any problems but would still prefer to have a health check, you might have to do this privately. National companies like Bupa and Medicheck offer regular check up services, but if you have a specific question, talk to your GP first.

Preconception sexual health check

Once you are pregnant your midwife will run a series of tests to check for various sexually transmitted infections that could affect the health of your baby and the success of your pregnancy.

However, some sexually transmitted infections can go undetected and can affect the risk of ectopic pregnancy.

Problems like Chlamydia are extremely common and often a woman can be carrying around this infection for years without knowing she has it. It is easy to diagnose and fully treatable (for both partners) so it is well worth having checked before you get pregnant, especially as it can increase the risk of miscarriage or premature birth, or cause pneumonia or a serious eye infection in your newborn baby.

You might opt for a private clinic health check which can include sexual health, but in many areas of the UK there are free sexual health clinic facilities. To find out if there are services near you, call the FPA helpline 0845 122 8690.

Genetic counselling

If there is a history of any genetic illness on either side of your families, you might want to discuss the risks of passing on any problems to a child. You can do this by visiting your GP and asking to be referred to a genetic counsellor who can discuss the risks, arrange of any necessary tests, and hopefully put your minds at rest.

Related Articles

First Aid courses from an award winning London based company

10 signs of pregnancy

Five signs you are ovulating

Your TTC window of opportunity

Choosing an independent midwife

Head Injuries - what to do and what to look out for

Have Your Say

Be the first person to comment on this article, just post a comment below.

In order to post a comment you need to be a member. Join Now | Sign in